7.10.2015

Details | What You Need to Know About Running in the Hot, Hot Heat



There are a lot of runners on the street these days. No, really—in 2014, for the first time in history, according to a Running USA report, there were more than 2 million people who finished half-marathons in the U.S., with New York City leading the pack in terms of pacing (almost 50 percent of those half-marathon runners were done in under two hours). And it's all for good reason; in addition to strengthening your lungs and body overall, the sport is likely to buoy your mood and let those vanity muscles show.
But one of the keys to running is consistency, according to Equinox group-fitness instructor and creator of the chain's year-old treadmill-based Precision Running program David Siik. "Don't ever completely take it out of your life, and be consistent with it," Siik told us in an interview over the phone. Pretty easy for him to say considering he's been at it since the age of 9. "It was the only thing I was good at," he said, laughing. "I was very athletic, but I was clumsy. I was a fast football player, but I wasn't good at catching the ball. I was fast on the basketball court, but I couldn't make a shot. I was basically the Forrest Gump in my town."
So with the temperature heating up, we asked Siik exactly what we need to know before heading out for a jog during these dog days of summer.

No comments: